Too Much Talent Makes the Audience Go Blind

Andrew Falanga, Writer

Franklin High Schools’ former Cabaret showcase is being revamped for the 2019 season. In years past The Cabaret show featured all theater classes performing a variety of skits, dances, and songs. 

This year, students of the high schools Performing Arts Theater 3 class will perform a revamped version of Cabaret under the direction of FHS’s new theater teacher, Mr.Grossman.

Mr.Grossman said that the new concept will provide an inventive way to engage the audience. The new premise of the show takes 20 skits from an Off-Off-Broadway show in New York called Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind. Traditionally, the class has also written 10 skits of their own. These student-written skits which will feature current events and school-related innuendos.  

As usual, the performance will begin with the class dancing to Willkommen from Cabaret. At the end of the song, a list of all the skits that have been prepared by the class will be lowered onstage. 

Actors will attempt to perform thirty short skits, ranging from 5 seconds to 5 minutes, and in sixty minutes the audience calls out the play that they want to see next. This provides the audience with an opportunity to participate in the performance. The reliance on the audience guarantees that both performances will not be the same. 

Cabaret will be performing on Oct. 16 and 17 at 7 pm. Tickets are $5 and the funds will benefit future drama productions at the high school.