Students Have Rights?

The Bill of Rights is a historic document that still is able to carry its weight as a legal standard. It is the basis of many laws and some very crucial court cases pertaining to their limits. Once you enter school however many of your rights as stated in the Bill of Rights change and after an extent become nonexistent. We have contacted a school administrator to find where these lines are drawn and what limits are on your rights.

When asked if students have the right to speak in ways that elementary school kids don’t, we received the response that at different levels they change such as topics but what they are saying must pertain to the environment. Next we asked about the Fourth Amendment which speaks about search and seizure, our question was what can constitute reasonable suspicion? We received the response that any mention of drugs or illegal activity or “suspicious behavior” this can relate to a students physical appearance or demeanor but it also have been from reports from students or staff.

When asked would the school ever consider searching students outside of the school building? This was immediately dismissed. The school would not search a student unless it was inside the school building.

A question we had was “If a student was only talking about illegal acts or referencing drugs use”? The answer for this was that an investigation would be conducted and the results of this investigation would lead to an informed decision.

Next we asked what would happen if a student attempted or succeeded to start a student strike or class boycott? They would be possibly suspended for disrupting the school.

When asked about students symbolic speech such as dress and accessories we were told that if it disrupts the school process or undermines the school for being too controversial.

So we leave you with the question do students have rights in school or not? Give us your thoughts below.