College: Tips to Ease Seniors’ Pain

As college application deadlines are rapidly approaching, some seniors may be feeling stressed, and with good reason. The application process itself is a long and tedious one, especially if not all of your schools are on the Common Application. Then there’s the college essay, which is supposed to prove to colleges that you are the perfect candidate for their school… except it has to be 500 words or less. If you haven’t started, that’s a page and a half. Double spaced. Yikes.

Luckily, there are many things seniors can do to ease their pain and fear throughout the college application process. First and foremost, go to guidance. Every senior will have at least 2-3 scheduled meetings with his/her guidance counselor, to go over all of the general aspects of the application process and to answer any apparent questions. However, if between meetings, a question arises, don’t hesitate to ask! Guidance counselors know this process is not easy, and are always be happy to answer any questions or concerns.

Another way to make the process less stressful is to start early and work diligently. Don’t leave anything until the last minute. Do a few sections of the Common App every night so it doesn’t seem overwhelming. The best way to make sure that you are on time for all of your deadlines is to create a timeline working backwards from your first deadline. Take into account anything that can go wrong, such as power outages or not being able to access the internet. Everything should be completed at least a week before that first deadline. Once you have completed everything, schedule a final appointment with your guidance counselor to ensure that everything is ready to be sent out.
To seniors who are stressed out: you are definitely not alone. Although this process may seem daunting at times, know that the most important aspect of the college application is to be yourself. Whether it’s guidance counselors, teachers, family or friends, everyone is here to help and support you during this time.