Life After Rejection

One of the most disheartening feelings is opening up a letter from a college and learning that you have been denied. Unfortunately, some Seniors who applied Early Action or Early Decision to their schools may be facing this heartbreaking rejection.

A lot of people take college rejection personally, and seem to think that a rejection letter says, “you’re not good enough, we don’t want you”. It’s hard not to feel that way. But remember that  every college has different criteria or standards that students must meet. According to “College Confidential”, a lot of times, there just isn’t enough room for all of the qualified applicants. Students could very well soar past the expectations of the college, yet may be denied because of housing limitations.

Here are some tips to help you deal with rejection:

1. First and foremost, read the letter carefully to make sure you have actually been completely rejected. You may have only picked up on negative words, and in your rush, mistook them for a rejection. Some colleges or universities may put you on a waiting list or something similar but the letter you get may look like a rejection letter.

2. Consider carefully whether you would like feedback on why you were rejected, as most places will happily provide reasons for their decisions. Learn why you have been rejected may help you improve applications for the future and help you find closure – however, it could also rub salt in open wounds.

3. Stay positive.  Never stop striving to reach your goals just because one of them didn’t work out. I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason; maybe  not being accepted to this particular college/university was a positive event in the long-term.

4. Embrace the schools that embrace you. Even if they may not have been your first few choices, take a second look at the other schools you were accepted to. It may be that one of these schools was meant for you.

5. Keep things in perspective. Don’t dwell on the rejection, and by all means, don’t develop an obsessive attitude about it. Don’t hate that school from this moment on. Most importantly, try and be happy and supportive of your friends who did get accepted into their desired schools.