Hostess Becomes History

It’s the end of an era, Hostess Brands Inc. is shutting down its factories. After the company failed to come to an agreement in negotiations with a striking Baker’s Union, a Southern District New York Bankruptcy Court granted approval for the company to shut down its operations and liquidate its assets.

“Its really sad to see it go. I’m pretty sure everyone has had a Twinkie at some point in their life. They’re more than just a snack,they’re pretty much a piece of American history,” said FHS senior Jake Handel.

According to a company press release, the shutdown will result in the closure of 33 bakeries, 565 distribution centers, 5,500 delivery drivers, and 570 bakery outlet centers. In total this will result in the loss of approximately 18,500 jobs. Despite this, a judge ruled that top Hostess executives could still be paid a total of $1.8 million in bonuses, in addition to their normal salaries.

Founded in a church basement in 1930 by Ralph Leroy Nalfziger, the company was originally known as the Interstate Bakeries Corporation. Since then, the company has changed ownership an incredible thirteen times.

Rumors are circulating regarding possibilities of another company continuing the Hostess legacy. The bankruptcy agreement allowed for Hostess to sell the recipes and rights to production for their products, however no company statements have given any definitive answers as to whether or not they actually plan to do so, and if so then to what company.

“I’m not sure it would be a good idea to sell the recipes. Hostess is such an American classic, even if another company were to produce the same snacks, something about it just wouldn’t be the same. All good things have to come to an end, and I’d rather see them go out on a high note than have another company start making their products, and run the risk of not living up to the Hostess name,” said Handel.

What was your favorite Hostess product?