Koats for Kids Comes to Franklin High

Students at Franklin High School have kicked Koats for Kids, a fundraiser to trade in old coats, for a chance to have Ed Sheeran come to sing at Franklin High.

All the coats will go to underprivileged kids who are unable to stay warm through out the winter.

Junior Alexis Koshivas brought Koats for Kids to Franklin High.

“I heard about it by listening to Mix 104.1 two weeks ago” Koshivas told me “I thought it would be interesting to get Franklin in to the contest to have Ed Sheeran get a chance to play here”

Koats for Kids was started by the Karson and Kennedy morning radio show on Mix 104.1 to benefit the Big Brother Big Sister foundation. The two hosts hope to use Ed Sheeran’s star power to motivate high school students to bring in coats.

Those who don’t know the name Ed Sheeran, may reconize his voice. Sheeran sings the popular song “The A-Team”.

Through the fundraiser Koshivas wants to get coats to those who cant afford them and to get kids involved in the community.

“I’m hoping to get more students to get more involved in helping outside the school” Koshivas told me

Koshivas explained to me how she brought Koats for Kids to the high school.

“I got a bunch of people together” Koshvais said, “and they came up with a proposal explaining why we are doing it, how we’d do it, and how we’d get it marketed to the students and the teachers.”

How did she get the word out?

“[Mr Light] signed off on it and I put posters up and an announcement up” Koshavias told me.

Bring in lightly used coats for  January 23; so far 13 coats have been collected.