Productive Summer: Improve Your College Application

A summer job, summer program, or internship looks great on a college application, but they can be expensive or time consuming.

Colleges look at academics, extracurricular activities, and sports, among other things, when considering students’ applications, but summer jobs and other activities can also look great for colleges and universities, as well as providing some much-needed money.

“I’m going to work this summer,” says Angela Baker, “Because I’m going to need to start putting away money for college and I’ll need gas money for my car.”

As fourth term begins, many FHS students  are looking forward to relaxing over the summer. However, as crunch time approaches for college applications, lazy summers are becoming less possible, which can be annoying when, after a long school year, students need to sacrifice some of their summer to work more on school.

“I can see both sides,” says Rose Determen, “Because you want to be able to do what you want to do over the summer, but it’s also good to have experience over the summer.”

Summer jobs show commitment and diligence, as well as being a great way to earn money. Massachusetts sets restrictions on minimum wage and hours for children (anyone not considered a legal adult), as well as acceptable occupations. High school students can still apply for local jobs, though, at local businesses like Roche Brothers in Millis, chain stores like FroyoWorld, or other part time jobs.

Internships and summer programs are also options that look great for college. Emerson College, for example, offers a variety of summer programs in arts and communication, but more intensive programs can cost thousands of dollars.

Internships can offer real-life experience in a possible career while also looking great for colleges. A variety of internships for high school students are available in and around Boston as well as around the country.