Sophie Addi: From FHS to the Grand Ole Opry

On Wednesday, October 29, Franklin High junior Sophie Addi performed on the French horn at the Grand Ole Opry after her selection for the National Honors Concert Band. Pantherbook staff interviewed her to gain insight into her once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Q: When did you start playing the French horn?
A: I started playing French horn in 5th grade (almost 7 years ago).

Q: How many hours a day do you practice? How do you balance your dedication to music with your schoolwork?
A:  I try to practice at home on the weekends and during my directed studies. When I don’t have any auditions coming up, I make sure that school and homework comes before any kind of music. However, if there’s something I know I need to work on musically, I like to get in an hour of practicing before starting my homework.

QDSC_5662 - Version 2: How do you like to spend your free time?
A:  I really enjoy reading, writing, and playing soccer, and I’m really into outdoor activities like hiking and sailing over the summer. Also, I love traveling and I try to seize the opportunities to visit new places as often as I can.

Q: What piece did you submit to be accepted into the National Honors Concert Band?

A: For my audition to the National Honors Ensemble, I submitted a French horn concerto by Camille Saint Säens, which I learned previously last year for an Allstate audition.

Q: What did you most look forward to in Tennessee?

A: I really looked forward to meeting so many new and different people in Tennessee, as well as the musical opportunity that it would provide. It was amazing to be a part of such a huge ensemble with so much talent and various perspectives, and it really enhanced my learning and musical experience.

Q: I know it’s a little early to be thinking about college, but do you have any idea where you’d like to go, and if you’d like to pursue a career in music?

A: For college, I’m looking around the Midwest and Northeast. Although nothing about my college career is set in stone yet, I’ve started looking at colleges with good music programs and a lot of other options. I would be interested in focusing on either a career in medicine or journalism, and I would either minor or take a double-major in music.

Sophie graciously concluded by saying that she felt “so honored by Pantherbook for this.” We’re looking forward to hearing about all of her future accomplishments!