Each Bowl a Step Closer

Each Bowl a Step Closer

Hailey Ringer, Writer

Ever wondered of a way that you could better help out your community? Empty Bowls Club is your answer! This after school club meets in the ceramics room on Mondays and occasionally Fridays for a longer duration.

The ceramics teacher, Ms. Johnson, runs this popular extracurricular activity and has a large number of students from each grade in it.

This club gathers to make different variations of bowls that ultimately get auctioned off at a silent auction towards the end of the year. This takes place in the FHS cafeteria.

The bowls that are created and designed by the members of the club are acquired and paid for by the auction’s highest bidders.

All proceeds from this activity get donated towards the Franklin Food Pantry. Last year the club raised $6,000 which helped 600 families.

FHS freshman, Katie McGuire, is a part of the group and shared her input. McGuire enjoys this club because it’s a good way for her to express her creativity.

She would recommend Empty Bowls because: “you get to help out the community and meet new people.” McGuire is glad she joined and will continue to go to the after school meetings.

Ms. Johnson, Ceramics teacher and runner of Empty Bowls, expresses great accomplishment and success in her club. She states that: “Students should join Empty Bowls for a thousand reasons.”

She believes that doing something so good for one’s community at such a young age could really lead to great things in the future. After a five year break of Empty Bowls throughout Franklin, Ms. Johnson rekindled this club last year.

More developed styles of pottery are being made this year, in addition to the standard bowls. More specialized items will be created for the auction.

Ms. Johnson hopes that her club can expand even more than it already has and that even more of an impact can be made in the community.