College Preview: University of Connecticut

Madeleine Lussier, Editor

Just over an hour away in Storrs Connecticut, the University of Connecticut offers high-level academics and athletics in order to prepare students for life after college. Here are some factors students may want to take into consideration when applying for colleges.

Location

UConn is located approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes away from Franklin depending on traffic. This distance may appeal to students who want to feel independent but still want the option to return home when the desire. The University of Connecticut is located in Storrs, Connecticut, a town mainly dominated by farmland, but has a downtown area with restaurants and shops. The closest city to Storrs is Hartford, where students can take buses to/from campus and enjoy city life.

Price

The tuition for UConn is $13,366 in state, and $34,908 out of state. The average cost after aid is $20,000 and UConn does offer merit scholarships.

Admission

The University of Connecticut has a 53% acceptance rate, however, when speaking to prospective students, the Dean warned that each year the admissions process is getting more and more competitive.

Academics

UConn offers academic programs ranging from math and science to liberal arts and engineering. The rigorous academic courses are taught by professors from around the world with extensive backgrounds in both teaching and research.

Athletics

Sports are a highlight of the UConn community. Both the women’s and men’s basketball teams, men’s soccer and ice hockey and women’s field hockey are dominant in their respective NCAA brackets.