Community Service

Franklin High students volunteer to mentor beginner violinists

Anika Patchala, Writer

Some students may think community service is a waste of time. Community service is more than just finishing your hours, it’s also giving back to the community. Not only does the volunteer improve lives of others, but they also learn skills such as good communication, team building, time management, and leadership. Volunteers also gain work experience and build community awareness.

Aislinn Lavery, a freshman at Franklin High stated:

“Community Service is a great way to connect to the community and spread kindness.”

The volunteer will learn to step out of their comfort zone. When looking for community service opportunities, keep in mind to look for fields you find interesting so you can make volunteering exciting for yourself.

Later on, when the time comes, volunteering hours on college applications show admission officials that you are able to balance your schedule and that you care about your community.   Most high school students prefer animal shelters, libraries, or senior centers. Start wherever you feel comfortable and then build up to something bigger.     

Like many schools, Franklin high considers volunteering a graduation requirement. The community service project assigned to students in Wellness is 35% of their grade. If you’re a freshman, make sure to turn in your completed five hours documentation and google slide by 2:05 pm on January 4, 2019.

Sophomores share the same requirements, but have to complete ten hours by 2:05 pm on May 17, 2019. Don’t forget to take pictures! If you are concerned about where to volunteer, make sure to check the community service document on the Franklin High website.