Trendy Travel Tips: Making the Most of Your Summer

Emma Nicholson, Writer

It is almost June 14th; pencils are being put down, final exams are being given, and the seniors have already graduated. Of course it is important to stay engaged in classes despite the year winding down, but many of us will soon begin thinking about summer plans and getting excited for vacations and trips. Maybe you are traveling abroad, or going to summer camp. Maybe you are going to be visiting family and friends or even just going to the Cape. Wherever your destination is this summer, here are a few trendy travel tips to make the most out of your summer vacation!

Remember the Essentials 

When packing for a trip, whether big or small, here are a few items you might want to consider to keep yourself organized and prepared at all times:

-Portable Phone Charger (Portable Charger, $19 on Amazon)

-Packing Cubes (Travel Compression Packing Cubes, $19 on Amazon)

-Reusable Water Bottle (Hydro Flask Reusable Water Bottle $44 on Amazon)

-Umbrella (Travel Umbrella, $16 on Amazon)

-Rain Jacket

-Sunglasses

– Carry-on size backpack

-Plenty of sweatshirts/sweaters for various weather conditions

Do not live through your camera

It is safe to say that if you are traveling anywhere this summer, you will be taking many photos of the beautiful scenery and destinations. But do your best to take some time away from the camera lens, and really take in what is around you. Make sure that any photos you take are meaningful and really capture the moment; don’t take photos just for the sake of taking photos. By minimizing the amount of photos you take, you will not only save space in your camera roll, but you will consequently find yourself living in the moment more frequently.

Less screen, more scenery  

Taking a long road trip to visit colleges or family in a different part of the country? Though your hours spent in the car may seem long and tedious, do not spend your whole car ride on your phone! Look out the window when you enter a new town, see if there are any interesting stops or places to visit. You will get much more out of the trip if you are enjoying the smaller moments and not just the destination. Now I am not saying you need to look outside and read all the highway signs, but if you are passing through a new town or area you have never been, look up from your phone!

Immerse yourself in the culture

Traveling to another country? Take this opportunity to immerse yourself in a new culture. Experience not only the big cities, but take in the small towns. Try to learn phrases of the languages you are hearing and understand them when they are spoken to you.

Try new food! If you are someone who tends to stick to only eating a few different meals back home, take these opportunities to visit some small restaurants and avoid chains. Order something you may not usually get to experience and be adventurous with your taste.

And Most Importantly… Have fun!

Enjoy getting to travel! Whether it is near or far, enjoy the experiences you are getting and the people you will get to spend them with.

Where will FHS students be traveling this summer? 

To name a few…

• Prague, Czech Republic
  • Berlin, Germany
  • Krakow, Poland
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • Normandy, France
  • Switzerland
  • Lake Como, Italy
  • London, England
  • Orlando, Florida
  • Cape Cod
  • New Hampshire
  • Paris, France
  • Ireland

And More!

FHS Goes to Europe 

Budapest, capital of Hungary

This summer, 60 FHS students will have the opportunity to travel to Berlin, Prague, Krakow, and Budapest as part of the Franklin High School trip to Europe. These students will see the remains of the Berlin wall, visit the Lennon Wall in Prague, and experience historical monuments of the Holocaust, including the Auschwitz concentration camp. Students will be chaperoned by teachers from the history department, as well as other FHS faculty. This is such a great experience for these students, and we look forward to hearing about the trip!

Not traveling anywhere this summer? Check out Amanda Wylie’s article on things to do this summer right here in Franklin: https://franklinpanthers.us/student-life/2019/05/31/stuck-in-franklin-a-summer-bucket-list/

On behalf of the entire Pantherbook Staff, we hope you all have an amazing summer vacation, wherever your travels may take you!