Is Invisalign Better For Highschoolers Than Braces?

Avery Chalk, Writer

No more brace face? Recently, clear aligners (such as Invisalign), have become increasingly more common among high school students. 

These retainer-like orthodontic devices are removable, custom made, and fit perfectly in one’s mouth. In order to create the molds, a 3-D scanning process of the entire mouth ensues. This is quick and painless, unlike the dreaded impressions typically required for the installment of braces. These molds gradually shift the teeth into correct alignment.

While the concept was invented in 1997, the Invisalign market has recently shifted to a younger audience. So, why the sudden variance in customers? Many theorize that this could be because teenagers today are much more insecure about appearances and popularity, and are therefore more self-conscious about minuscule imperfections.

Sara Bryan, a Sophomore at FHS, agrees with this assumption. Bryan currently has Invisalign, and feels considerably more confident with them than she would with regular braces. 

Not only are they a self-esteem booster, but these clear retainers are substantially more practical than traditional braces. Seeing as they can be taken out, day-to-day tasks such as flossing, brushing, and eating are effortless and simple.

There are many locations around Franklin that are capable of consulting with high school students in order to implement Invisalign (or similar services). Mint Dental and Class One Orthodontics are just some of the many providers near Massachusetts. 

While pricing tends to vary from person to person, average costs for these aligners clock in anywhere between $3,000 and $5,000. As braces usually charge between $2,000 and $6,000, the finances of the two are fairly similar. 

Simply put, these clear aligners are definitely worth checking out. So, consider making the switch today!