Empty Bowls Celebrates the Holidays

There was a huge turnout at the holiday party! (photo from @FHS_emptybowls Twitter)

Gretchen Scotland, Writer

Are you ecstatic for the holidays? The Empty Bowls club at Franklin High School sure is! On Monday, December 16th, they hosted their annual Holiday Party in the ceramics room to celebrate their last meeting before the new year.

Ms. Johnson, the advisor of the club, is the ceramics teacher at FHS. For the past twenty years, Empty Bowls has been a part of the Franklin community. This year, there are over one hundred student

members in the club, which is incredibly impressive. The club spends countless hours throughout the year carefully crafting hand-made bowls out of clay and glazing them meticulously; the goal is to make 400 bowls in total. In the spring, Empty Bowls hosts a huge event in the high school cafeteria in which the club partners with the Franklin Food Pantry to co-host a meal of soup and bread for the community and raise money by selling tickets. Attendees choose a bowl to bring home with them and all of the proceeds go directly to the Food Pantry. It is an amazing event, and for such a beneficial cause. 

Students enjoying the exciting event!Nothing says celebrating the holidays more than eating lots of good food! At the holiday party, there was pizza, various types of delicious cookies, chips, water and soda, and even a cake made by one of our very own students. Everyone had a great time talking, eating, and just, in general, hanging out. The week before the holiday break can be extremely busy so it was a great chance for kids to be able to relax for a bit. Vedika Vinayak, a sophomore member of Empty Bowls, commented, “I think it’s a great club and for such a great cause and it was nice to see us all getting together and celebrating what we do for the community”. Later, another sophomore member, Emily Reilly, reflected, “I think it’s really cool how one club can bring so many people together and do so much good for the community”. It is evident that the work this club does is really touching people and making them realize the wonderful feeling of giving and helping others.