A Virtual Approach to Empty Bowls

An array of colorful bowls on display at the spring auction! Photo Credit: Corey Seeman.

Isabella Scafidi, Writer

The Empty Bowls Club may have to be held virtually this year, due to the disruption of the Coronavirus pandemic.

As of right now, both an in-person and a virtual plan are being considered to help get students back to making clay bowls for the Franklin Food Pantry. A final decision will be made depending on the comfort level of students participating in the club.

According to senior Sydney Brady, president of the Empty Bowls Club, the virtual option includes creating kits of clay to send out to group members. A Google Meet will also be conducted for participants to share techniques and create bowls together at home.

The in-person plan will involve splitting the club into groups of no greater than 10 to 11 people which will align nicely with normal school cohorts. If this option is selected, members will be permitted to wear masks and adhere to social distance protocols to ensure everyone’s safety.

During these unprecedented times, the club is putting an extra emphasis on supporting the Franklin Food Pantry and working towards overcoming hunger within the community.

Normally, group members would meet in one of the ceramics rooms at FHS to make clay bowls that would be sold in an auction at their annual spring fundraiser. Other larger items besides bowls would also be available for purchase.

All proceeds earned from this event are donated to the Franklin Food Pantry to supply food to families who may not be able to afford it. However, due to the impact of the Coronavirus, the fundraiser may also have to take place virtually this year.

If interested in becoming a member of this engaging club, join the Empty Bowls Google Classroom page using the code wkbptiv for more information. All are welcome to attend the club meetings which will take place on a Google Meet every Monday at 2:15 p.m. Hope to see some new faces there!