FHS Diversity Awareness Club Hosts Geography Night

Hailey Michenzie, Writer

Franklin High School (FHS) traveled the world recently! FHS Diversity Awareness club hosted a Geography Night in the school cafeteria on Tuesday, March 1 from 5-8 p.m. On this night, students and community members came together to learn about each other’s culture, heritage, and sample some delicious food. 

Students shared fun facts, historical figures, music, and food that represented their culture. The night allowed FHS and the community to learn more about different cultures and heritages that make up our world.

Senior Kianna Thomas, President of Diversity Awareness Club, said that Geography Night allowed students to share their ethnic background through panels. She said that it is really empowering to share a part of yourself, especially something that is significant to you because it allows you to feel more comfortable and confident with yourself.

The goals of the Diversity Awareness Club are to share the stories of peers, community, and the world around us on issues of injustice in order to sympathize with people. The club provides a safe space where they encourage everyone to express their identity.

Despite only having two weeks to prepare for the night, the club really wanted to advertise the event to FHS and the community. The event was advertised on social media, throughout the school, and town council members. In spite of time constraints, there was a great turnout!

If you are interested in helping to create similar events in the future, Diversity Awareness Club meets every Tuesday at 2:15 p.m in room 241.