Great Technology for Students

Sam Warner, Writer

Students rely on technology in their daily lives. During an interview with Ben Kane, a student at FHS, we talked about technology for education; he says, ”Technology has helped me in school by allowing me to retrieve information when I may not quite understand a specific concept”. Phones, computers, headphones and other electronic devices all help make life easier and more enjoyable for many. Ben supported this saying “I am not a math person, but when I can see it being explained in different ways online, I can effectively learn in and out of school.” Students also use technology to make their learning experience easier and better. These are some devices that help students during the school day.

Smart pens

Pens and pencils are a must have for any student. Writing down notes is something most students often need to do. Smart pens allow for the student to write down their notes while having a pen record what the teacher is saying. You can go back and hear what the teacher said if you missed anything. Some smart pens even have a special type of paper that can be used to tap on whatever you wrote down and listen to the audio of when you wrote it. 

Power banks

Also known as portable chargers, they are great for people who are on the go and can be convenient for students with a busy schedule. You can charge your devices such as phones and laptops while it’s in your backpack or during class without the need to plug them into an outlet. They commonly have around 3-4 years of usage and can hold their charge for about 4-6 months.

2-in-1 laptops

A laptop that is also a tablet is perfect for school. It’s mobile, lightweight, and can fit in smaller spots because of its thinner and compact design. Since it’s a hybrid of two things that can often be very helpful when in school it would replace both. Being able to switch between a keyboard or a touchpad so easily is helpful and having the touchscreen is good for when you would rather use your hands on the screen than type on a keyboard or use a mouse.   

Chromebooks

These simple devices use ChromeOS, an operating system that only allows for browsing the internet and downloading smaller android apps. Chromebooks are usually cheaper than most laptops because they have such limited hardware. It is perfect for schoolwork and can use many web applications that are necessary for school such as google docs or google classroom. “For school, a Chromebook is necessary to complete projects on Google products such as Docs and Slides and also to easily research,” Kane said. Chromebooks aren’t meant for using large software, but really only run what’s needed for school (although since you can use the internet, you can use anything available on a browser). According to a study, nearly 60% of the U.S. uses Chromebooks for K-12 education. They are also virus proof.

https://www.powerbankexpert.com/how-long-does-a-portable-charger-last/

https://marketbrief.edweek.org/marketplace-k-12/u-s-k-12-market-mobile-devices-remains-flat-2-percent-growth-2018/