“Everybody Hurts”: R.E.M Breaks Up After Three Decades

The music world was shocked last Wednesday when the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Grammy winning band R.E.M announced one their website on Wednesday that they were breaking up after playing together for over 30 years. The band consisted of lead singer Michael Stipe, guitarist Peter Buck, bassist Mike Mills and drummer Bill Berry who left the band in 1997 due to health reasons. Since their 1983 debut album “Murmur” they have featured many hit songs such as “Man on the Moon”, “It’s the End of the World as We Know It”, “Everybody Hurts” and “Losing My Religion” too name a few. Michael Stipe released this statement on his website “A wise man once said — ‘the skill in attending a party is knowing when it’s time to leave.’ We built something extraordinary together. We did this thing. And now we’re going to walk away from it.”             There was no fallout or conflict among band members that resulted in the band splitting up; they made a decision as a band to call it a day after decades of producing great music and inspiring many people and they were able to walk away from it the right way, which some bands do not have the luxury of doing. The band also released this statement on their website regarding their fans: “To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band.

We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening.”

Although the band is broken up they will be releasing a new  greatest hits album in November called “R.E.M., Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth. Part Garbage, 1982-2011” and will feature three brand new songs “We All Go Back To Where We Belong”, “A Month Of Saturdays” and “Hallelujah”.