I.O.U A Fall

On Sunday, May 20th the season finale of the BBC show Sherlock premiered for the first time in America.

Sherlock is a modern day adaption of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes Series. The Reichenbach Fall is the final installment of the second season of the show, which deals with the final showdown between Sherlock Holmes (played by Benedict Cumberbatch) and Jim Moriarty (played by Andrew Scott).

This episode is inspired by “The Final Problem” by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The title of the episode alludes to the Reichenbach Falls (a series of waterfalls in Switzerland) where Holmes and Moriarty supposedly fell to their deaths in the original series.

In the original series, Conan Doyle planned on having this be the last installment of Sherlock Holmes, but at the instance of the fans, he continued with the story.

The episode was first broadcast on BBC One and BBC One HD on 15 January 2012. It attracted 9.78 million viewers, and critical reaction to the episode was positive.

Several FHS students have already watched the episode.

Shristi Pant, high school junior says that it is, “brilliantly written, but you should plan on having lots of tissues with you while you watch it.”

Laura Refuse, another junior, called it “an emotional roller coaster”

This episode is filled with mind games and will have you questioning everything you think you know about Sherlock Holmes. Tune in to PBS on May 26 at 6:30pm and again at 9:30pm to experience The Reichenbach Fall for yourself.