Les Miserables

Since its official release on December 25, 2012, Les Miserables has become an instant hit, reaching top-box office at $10.1 million during this past week.

Set in the background of a tumultuous 19th century France, this music-based film portrays a tale of passion, love, hope, and survival—and with cast members including Anne Hathaway, Hugh Jackman, and Russell Crowe, it’s no surprise that Les Mis has become popular among critics across the globe.

“I think it was a really good movie,” says FHS Junior Carly Burgess. “I liked all the actors and actresses, and I was pretty impressed with all the supporting people.”

Apparently, Burgess is not alone—in fact, Les Mis has already won the Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy), Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actress.

However, not everyone is as enamored with this well-known film.

Although it has certainly been able to capture the attention and admiration from people of many ages, there are still numerous individuals who feel that the movie simply did not live up to its standards.

“The casting was good, but if I hadn’t already seen the stage production, I would have thought it was even more amazing…which it was, but it definitely could have been better. There were so many things going on at once; it was so crazy! Also, it was really long,” comments 11th grader Elise Zajac.

“It was good,” Burgess adds with doubt, “but it was kind of annoying how everyone sang their lines for the entire movie.”

Sarah Mahoney, also a Junior at FHS, agrees. “I didn’t see it yet, but I just don’t understand how the actors and actresses could sing for the whole time!”

Whether it elicits positive or negative comments, there’s no doubt that Les Mis has quickly become a popular and powerful film, casting its net over a multitude of age groups across the nation.

What did you think about Les Miserables?