Why “Game of Thrones” Sits on TV’s Iron Throne

HBO’s Game of Thrones is one of the most popular TV shows airing at the moment, but what makes it so popular?

Game of Thrones is a TV show based on George R. R. Martin’s popular book series A Song of Ice and Fire, currently in its fourth season (the season 4 finale premieres on Sunday June 15). The series is set in the fictional land of Westeros, where seven families fight for control of the Iron Throne. Political backstabbing and corruption run rampant as lords, kings, and exiles do anything and everything to win power.

Many students at FHS are fans of the show, which racks up an average of 18.4 million viewers. Game of Thrones is also the most illegally downloaded TV show, and is not available on Netflix.

“It’s difficult to watch,” said Emily Mariano, “It’s not on Netflix, so I haven’t been able to see it yet, but I definitely want to.”

Angela Baker said:

“I watch it because the storyline is engaging and thought-provoking and keeps me interested.”

(Robb Stark (Richard Madden), a candidate for the Iron Throne, is pictured on the throne in a promotional photo).

The quality of the writing, directing, and acting is definitely a factor in Game of Thrones‘s popularity. The show has received dozens of awards for writing, producing, make-up and effects, animation, and directing. Peter Dinklage specifically has received several awards for his role as Tyrion Lannister, and Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) and Diana Rigg (Olenna Tyrell) have also received nominations for their roles on the show.

Game of Thrones is known for its graphic depictions of violence, sexual acts (including controversial rape scenes), and liberal use of swearwords, but there is also a depth to the story that keeps fans engaged.

“I think the show’s so popular because there is a lot of action and brutality as well as relevant social commentary.” said Baker.

What do you think of "Game of Thrones?"