It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Halle Goldsmith, Writer

With the holidays approaching quickly, new Christmas movies and shows are coming out on Netflix. Here is a rundown of the new and the old holiday films on Netflix.

• How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) 
    • The live action version of the Dr. Seuss classic is a holiday hit that is a sure-fire way to get you into the Christmas spirit. The Grinch, a Christmas-hater, decides to rob all of Whoville and rid them of their Christmas decorations, hoping to take their spirit with him. A sweet Who girl, named Cindy-Lou Who, derails his vengeful plans and makes his heart grow three sizes.
  • The Knight Before Christmas (2019)
    • A fourteenth-century knight, Sir Cole, travels through time and is transported to present day, where he meets Brooke. Brooke is a high school science teacher, who gets disillusioned by the idea of love and by him. 
  • A Cinderella Story: A Christmas Wish (2019)
    • The classic Cinderella story is given a Christmas twist. Kat Emerson, an aspiring singer, has her dreams crushed by her evil stepmother and two stepsisters. While working as an Elf, she starts to fall for the new Santa Claus. 
  • Let it Snow (2019) 
    • Based on John Green, Lauren Myracle, and Maureen Johnson’s novel, Let it Snow follows three holiday romances. A snowstorm hit a small town on Christmas Eve and brings a group of teenagers together. Friendships and love lives colliding on one night, by Christmas morning, nothing will be the same. 
  • Christmas with the Kranks (2004) 
    • Luther and Nora Krank try to ditch the Christmas norms and spend their holiday on a cruise to the Carribean. Their plans thwarted by their Christmas obsessed neighbors, who are trying to win the “best decorated street” competition. Their lack of Christmas spirit makes them social outcasts. Can they handle a fallout with their neighbors and friends over Christmas? 
  • White Christmas (1954) 
    • Singers Bob Wallace and Phil Davis join Betty and Judy Haynes’ sister act and perform a Christmas show in rural Vermont. There, they run into the boys’ commander in World War II, General Waverly, whose country inn is failing. So the group plans a yuletide miracle: a musical extravaganza that has to save Waverly and his business. 
  • Merry Happy Whatever (2019)
    • A close-knit family welcomes a daughter and her musician boyfriend home from the holidays. Her overprotective father feels the opposite of jolly during Christmas time. The series is an eight-episode sitcom entailing how the family deals with the girl and boyfriend. 
  • The Christmas Chronicles (2018)  
    • A brother and sister pair, known as Kate and Teddy Pierce, try to catch Santa Claus and accidentally crash his sleigh. The pair teams up with the savvy Saint Nick and the trio tries to save Christmas in an all-night adventure.
  • The Great British Baking Show: Holidays
    • Competitors from past seasons come back to impress judges, Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith with their amazing Christmas treats.
  • Every Christmas episode of the Office
    • “Christmas Party” (Season 2, Episode 10)
    • “A Benihana Christmas” (Season 3, Episode 10)
    • “Moroccan Christmas” (Season 5,  Episode 11)
    • “Secret Santa” (Season 6,  Episode 13)
    • “Classy Christmas” (Season 7,  Episode 11/12)
    • “Christmas Wishes” (Season 8,  Episode 10)
    • “Dwight Christmas” (Season 9,  Episode 9)