Adapting a Notoriously Racy Musical to the High School Stage

Amanda Wylie

The cast of Franklin High School’s production of Chicago is hard at work in rehearsals.

Amanda Wylie, Writer

There is no denying that there is a sharp contrast between last year’s school musical, Seussical, and the one being put on this year.

“For 10 years, the kids have said to me, ‘We always do baby shows!’ That is what I love. I love happy, I love fluff,” says Mrs. Lonati, the director of the musical. “So my thought was, for my last show, I’ll do something that the kids want to do.”

Amanda Wylie
Mrs. Lonati, the director, stops to pose for a photo before rehearsals begin for the day.

What musical did FHS’s avid thespians decide on? They chose Chicago, a musical known for its humorous take on dark topics, not to mention its notoriously scandalous costumes.

“The name of my costume is literally like ‘Sexy Inmate’ or something like that. ” says sophomore Mia Magliari. “I play one of the prisoners, and we dance in a sexy circle.”

Mrs. Lonati is quick to shut down anyone who questions the appropriateness of the musical, noting, “It’s a high-school version of Chicago. It’s slightly watered down.”

This “watering down” amounts to the removal of all swears and most of the sexual innuendos. However, the heart of the show remains the same and FHS’s production will not disappoint those who are already fans of the show.

Chicago is opening on Friday, March 20 at 7:00. There will also be performances on March 21 at 7:00 PM and March 22 at 2:00 PM.

Amanda Wylie
What is Roxy in distress about? Come see the show to find out!

Mrs. Lonati argues, “Kids who come to see it will have a blast. They’re going to laugh, they’re going to ooh and ahh, and it’s just going to be a fun evening!

Chicago will be Mrs. Lonati’s last show before the program is handed over to Mr. Grossman, the new theater teacher. As always, Pantherbook will keep you updated as the opening date draws nearer.