The Other (And Much Fuzzier!) Super Bowl

January 26, 2021

Everyone knows that Super Bowl LV will take place on February 7th, but they might not know about a more fuzzy game… the Puppy Bowl! Puppy Bowl XVII will take place the same day at 2:00 PM on both Animal Planet and the new streaming service, Discovery+. But what’s the big deal with a bunch of puppies dragging chew toys into the end zone? Well, the Puppy Bowl has had one major goal since it first began in 2005: adoption.

Back in 2018, a shar-pei named Mr. Wigglesworth picked up a chew toy, yet took a long nap shortly after. (Damian Strohmeyer)

All 70 puppies who are playing in this year’s Puppy Bowl hail from 22 different shelters. Every single year, all of the cute little pups have been adopted after the game. The diversity of breeds (some mixed) represented is quite a feat too; the players range from Dalmatians to Siberian Huskies! Plus, they all have adorable names. Who doesn’t want a dog named Pippa or Yogi?

Comet, a member of Team Ruff, is an American Staffordshire Terrier/Boxer mix. (Elias Weiss Friedman)

The game itself is a battle between Team Ruff and Team Fluff. Each pup gets to wear a special bandana as their “uniform”, color-coordinated to what team they are part of (orange for Ruff, blue for Fluff). Dan Schachner returns as the game’s “Rufferee” for the tenth year in a row. The commentary will be from ESPN’s Steve Levy and SportsCenter’s Sage Steele, who both will be providing an in-depth analysis of the game.

Dan Schachner has had the coveted “job” of referee for ten years now. (Animal Planet)

And if you’re more of a cat person, the Kitty Halftime Show might be enough to keep you entertained. Since The Weeknd will be too busy at the real event, DJ Grand Master Scratch will star in a neon-themed spectacular!

Last year, Adam Feline took center stage with his band, Purr-oon 5. (Jessica Benson)

Will Team Fluff defend their title after scoring the most “touchdowns” last year? Or will Team Ruff put up a good fight and win the game? After all, only one team can emerge victorious and win the coveted Lombarky Trophy! Be sure to tune in real soon with your family and most importantly, your pets!

The official logo! (Discovery+)

Check out the full roster of the cute players here: https://www.discovery.com/shows/puppy-bowl/puppy-bowl-xvii/see/meet-the-players

Pantherbook • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in