Student Spotlight: Olivia Reagan

Student Spotlight: Olivia Reagan

Kate Rudolph, Writer

Franklin High School’s gymnastics team had a once in a lifetime season this past winter. The unique sport counts on one athlete to compete at a time, as gymnastics is an individual sport. When her team needed her, FHS Vault, Beam and Floor specialist Olivia Reagan delivered. 

The junior has been contributing to the Franklin gymnastics program since her freshman year in 2019, but her gymnastics journey started long before then. 

“I started gymnastics when I was three years old, originally at a Little Gym and eventually at Flipside Gymnastics when we moved to Franklin not long after,” said Reagan. 

Before high school, Reagan competed for USA Gymnastics (USAG) as a club athlete. Ever since her days at the Little Gym, Reagan has loved the Floor Exercise. A mix of high team energy and being able express her personality with dance and tumbling is the main attraction that draws Reagan to the event. 

Reagan has recently been called up to a new role on the team for this upcoming 2022-2023 season: captain.

“I think it’s really special that my teammates trust me to lead this team next year based on what they’ve seen from me the last one or two years inside the gym,” she said of her new position.

Reagan’s ability to bring high energy and help her teammates maintain positivity throughout a meet is what she says makes her a great captain. The close connection that the team has made throughout this season has been what makes Reagan the leader she is. The constant support of her teammates has inspired her, and she feels that the team bond caused each individual to push each other, in order to become the best gymnast they could be

In addition to High School, Reagan is still a USAG member as an Excel Platinum gymnast. Along with her team and coaches in Franklin, Reagan gives a lot of credit for her success this most recent season to Elite Gymnastics Academy in Ashland, Massachusetts. 

“They taught me discipline and precision in my gymnastics that made all the difference in not only acquiring new skills but also my confidence,” she said “In my opinion, I went into this season as a new gymnast, and it was because of Elite. They allowed me to fall in love with the sport again and change my constant perspective of fearing the skills I tried to not doubting myself or my gymnastics,” she said of the club gym. 

Reagan practices gymnastics for hours a week, all the while maintaining a well-rounded schedule. Outside of the gym, she is also a part of the Peer Leadership Program at FHS, Best Buddies, and DECA. 

The future English/Journalism major is excited to end her gymnastics career next year on a high note.

“I know that I definitely won’t be continuing gymnastics in college, so I’m excited to finish off my experience with the sport next year on this team,” Reagan said.

Be sure to follow Reagan and FHS Gymnastics next winter, as they chase the New England Championship for the second year in a row.