Kerry will be Secretary, But Who Will Be Massachusetts’ Next Senator?

In December, longtime Massachusetts Senator John Kerry was nominated to be, and likely will be, the next Secretary of State, replacing Hillary Clinton and leaving an open senate seat in Massachusetts.

With an empty senate seat, Massachusetts has to gear up for yet another senate election within the next year.

To fill the empty seat, Governor Deval Patrick will chose a temporary senator to replace Kerry and a special election will be held later in the year to replace the temporary senator.

Former representitive Barney Frank sated that he would like to be appointed the temporary senator until the special election is held.

“I’m not going to be coy. I’ve told the governor that I would now like, frankly, to do that because I would like to be a part of that,” Frank told the hosts of  MSNBC’s “Morning Joe”

Democratic representative of Massachusetts 5th district, Ed Markey, has already announced he will be running for Senator. Markey has been endorsed by Senator Kerry, Vicki Kennedy, and the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

“As Massachusetts’ senior senator today and as a colleague of Ed Markey’s for 28 years, I’m excited to learn of and support his decision to run for the United States Senate,” Kerry said.

Scott Brown is also a likely contender for the seat. He is a Republican but is considered a moderate, so he appeals to democratic and independent voters.

During this past election, republican incumbent Brown lost to democrat challenger Elizabeth Warren. The Brown versus Warren election was one of the most watched senate races in the country.

After winning the race for senator in 2010 to replace the late senator Ted Kennedy, Brown’s victory was celebrated by republicans because he won in a historically democratic state.

Although Brown has not explicitly stated that he is going to run for senator, his recent endorsements and statements has lead many to believe he will.

Last week Brown challenged Markey’s residency in Massachusetts on the “Jim & Margery Show” on WTKK-FM.

“You got Ed Markey: Does he even live here any more?” Brown joked “You’ve got to check the travel records. I’ve come back and forth [between Washington and Boston] every weekend, almost, for three years, and I see, you know, most of the delegation, and I have never seen Ed on the airplane – ever”

In December, Brown also publicly changed his view on an Federal Assault Weapons Ban after the Sandy Hook Tragedy. Many believed that there was no need for Brown to declare his stance on the weapons ban unless he was going to run for the senate seat.

Other contenders include Fox News contributor Doctor Keith Ablow. Dr. Ablow is a psychiatrist who works at Tufts University School of Medicine as an assistant clinical professor.

Also, south Boston Congressman Stephen Lynch is giving “serious consideration” to running for the senate seat according to the Boston Herald.

It should also be noted that we will not miss any school during the voting for the special election.

What do you think about the special election?