Fort Hood…Tragedy Strikes Again

For the second time in five years Fort Hood was locked down in fear a gunman opened fire leaving 4 dead.

It all took place Wednesday April Second around 4p.m. When shooter Specialist Ivan Lopez opened fire at two buildings on the grounds of the militarily base. Lopez was equipped with a .45 caliber hand gun that had just recently purchased by him legally.

Lopez killed three soldiers before turning the gun on himself ending the rampage. Among the dead were Carlos Lazaney Rodriguez, Danny Ferguson, and Timothy Owens. Not only did the shooter gun down soldiers but he injured another 16.

The shooter had a series of mental health problems including, depression an anxiety which he was receiving treatment for. Not only did he have these conditions but he was under evaluation to see if he had Post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD.  Also Lopez had claimed that he had received a serious brain injury while over seas even though the records show no trace of it.

As if it wasn’t shocking enough that a military base was under attack, this is the second time within five years that this same base had been on lockdown for the same situation.

On November 5, 2009 Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan also opened fire on Fort Hood. On that day Hasan shot and killed 13 people and injured 32 more.

One student Conor Sweeney weighed in.

When asked if because of these shootings he felt less safe going out to public places  he said.

“Nobody is ever really safe and secure, but we have the illusion of being safe and secure, but we have the same chances of something like that happing no matter how safe and secure we feel” Sweeney answered.

Throughout this tragedy though, America remains strong and eager to fight terror.