Social Distancing FHS Style

Emma Nicholson, Writer

During this time of social distancing, FHS students and teachers alike suddenly have a lot more free time on their hands than normal. While everyone is adjusting to this lifestyle differently, we wanted to know what activities have been keeping students and faculty busy during an unconventional time. So we asked the question:

How does FHS social distance? 

When surveying a randomly selected group of students and teachers, here’s what we discovered:

Most Popular Social Distancing Activities

1. Going on Walks

Emma Nicholson

Going on walks is the most popular quarantine activity for the FHS community, with 86% of students and teachers reporting to have gone on at least one walk in the past three weeks. Walking is a great way to get exercise and get some fresh air after a lot of time spend indoors, so put on those sneakers and get walking!

2.  Watching Movies

Coming in at second place: watching movies. 85% of students and teachers reported that they have watched at least one movie in the past few weeks.

3. Cleaning 

Students and teachers have been using their time productively: 83% report to have cleaned their room/a room in their house within the last few weeks! This is a great way to stay busy while still helping out at home.

4. Exercise

Exercising is something that 80% of students and teachers have been doing recently. Popular ways to exercise during this time include:

• Running
  • Going for a bike ride
  • Online workouts (i.e. virtual dance classes, yoga, etc.)
  • Strengthening/Conditioning

5. Binge Watching a TV Show

Coming in at 5th place, binging a TV show. 76% of students and teachers have reported to have binged a TV show in the past few weeks. These are some of the most popular shows amongst the FHS community right now:

• Tiger King (Netflix)
  • All American (Netflix)
  • Love is Blind (Netflix)
  • The Mandalorian (Disney+)
  • You (Netflix)
  • The West Wing (Netflix)

Other favorite social distancing activities include from the FHS community include: 

Social Distancing Snacks

Having snacks to enjoy during this time is extremely important. What are the best snacks to enjoy while social distancing? Overwhelmingly the FHS community has voted ice cream as the top snack enjoyed right now, with popcorn in second place and Cheez-Its in third!

Here are some other popular snacks among the FHS community: 

• Smoothies
  • Banana and peanut butter
  • Peanut Butter M & Ms
  • Goldfish Crackers
  • Clementines

Staying in Touch

This is a great time to stay in touch with family and friends, but also to reach out to old friends and get back in touch. Members of the FHS community have reported using these three platforms in the past three weeks to stay in touch with family and friends:

1. Facetime
  2. Zoom
  3. Google Meet

Streaming Platforms 

70% of the surveyed students and teachers report that Netflix is their streaming platform of choice during this time. Coming in second place is Disney Plus, followed by Hulu, Amazon Prime, and regular TV.

Favorite Apps

With an overwhelming 44% of votes, TikTok is the app of choice for the FHS community during this time! In second place is Instagram, followed by Snapchat in third place and Twitter in fourth.

Though this is a difficult and strange time for all involved, we encourage you to make the best of  this extra time, whatever that may mean for you! But above all, the best thing you can do right now is stay home and do your part to flatten the curve. The earlier we all stay home, the earlier we will return back to normalcy.