Are FHS Students Concerned About Climate Change?

Katie Barrow, Editor

Some people express concern for the potential impact of climate change in the next few decades, but its destruction is actually right in front of our eyes. 

Maddie Houlihan, who is a senior at FHS, points out that, “a lot of people are really nervous about future generations and how it’ll affect them, but it is happening right now.” Climate change is “intensifying natural disasters,” like what we saw with Hurricane Ian. Sanibel Island is nearly uninhabitable.

A ot of people are really nervous about future generations and how it’ll affect them, but it is happening right now.

— Maddie Houlihan

This is a coal-fired power plant, outside of Cincinnati, that is one of many other factories that burn fossil fuels.
Photo used under the creative commons license via The Buzz. (Robert S. Donovan)

Houlihan notes, “We have to do something about it really quickly before it keeps getting worse and worse.”

In addition to hurricanes, carbon dioxide emissions are also a major concern. Katy Liberman, another senior, learned about this from a documentary viewed in AP Environmental Science, Netflix’s Before The Flood. She was fascinated to learn that some countries are putting in a lot of their efforts to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. 

Some European countries use close to using 100% renewable energy, while the US government is more indifferent to its carbon dioxide emissions.

Charlotte Slamin also takes AP Environmental Science, and ozone depletion stuck out to her the most. This is when human activity causes the ozone layer to be broken down, creating harsher UV rays.

So what can you do to help? I asked Katy, and she suggested “Vote for candidates who care about the climate.” With the midterm elections quickly approaching, this is something to keep in mind for new voters.

This map shows the Climate Change Performance Index, displaying the US as one of the weakest countries’ responses to climate.
Photo used under the creative commons license via Wikimedia Commons.