Car of the Century!

What kind of car doesn’t need gas, only comes in one color, and has doors that don’t open and wheels that don’t turn? A Lego one of course!

So, the car doesn’t actually move or even serve a purpose, but that doesn’t make it any less impressive. The life size model of a Ford Explorer was created to celebrate the launch of Ford’s new Explorer SUV model and the opening of the world’s largest Lego theme park.

The car was constructed by a 22 member team fromConnecticut. The entire building process took a total of over 2,500 hours to complete. In its current completed stage the model SUV weighs over 2,600 pounds, which is more than half a real car weighs. Don’t be too surprised though, most of the weight comes from the huge aluminum base that strengthens and supports the entire structure.

The entire structure consists of over 38,000 bricks. At a normal market price of ten cents a brick, that many bricks would cost almost $40,000 which is enough to buy an actual drivable Ford Explorer!

The large structure is currently residing in Legoland’s new 150-acre theme park in Orlando, Florida. If you want to see this amazing Lego car head on down to the grand open of the park on October 15th!