Rural Colorado Kitty Found in a New York City

On Wednesday the 14th, the Squires family was shocked when they received a call that their calico cat, Willow, who had gone missing from and area near the Rocky Mountains in Colorado, turned up five years later in no other than Manhattan, New York.

When the family cat had gone missing they did anything a normal family would do: put up missing posters in hopes that someone may find her. “To be honest, there are tons of coyotes around here, and owls,” said Jamie Squires in an interview with the Huffington Post. “She was just a little thing, five and a half pounds.” The Squires were sure they would never see their kitten again.

However, thanks to a microchip the family has implanted in all their animals, the people in New Yorkwere able to track her back to the Squires in Colorado. When they received a call from the Animal Care & Control, which runs New York City’s animal rescue and shelter system, they were “shocked and astounded.” Mr. Squires’ first reaction was to not tell the kids; he didn’t want to get their hopes up. But the moment they received a picture they were sure.

The two oldest children who are 17 and 10 remember the cat, but the 3 year old had no idea. When shown the picture, her only reaction was “She’s a pretty cat.”

Since the day Willow escaped from the house in late 2006, when contractors accidentally left a door open during renovation, the family had moved 10 miles from Broomfield to Boulder, Colorado. Keeping the address current with the microchip company saved Willow’s life. It is said the cat will be flown from New York to Colorado to be reunited with her family.