Hold the Applause

Franklin High School is notorious for the Panthers, the colors blue and white, and our many sports teams. We have spirit weeks, and pep rallies and celebrate our athletes. But when do we ever celebrate our actors, musicians, or artists?

A great dramatist by the name of Oscar Wilde once said “I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” If acting is heartfelt, revealing a part of your character that stays hidden, and passionate, then why are sports put on a pedestal while this art form goes under the radar?

Yes, the musicals, Cabaret, Oskey, and Love Fest are popular but when it comes to the plays the Theatre club presents every December, the audience is slim to none. Last winter we presented The Pretentious Young Ladies, Boarding house, and Florence, but the typical audience that came to the two night performance was around 15-20 people. Picture 15-20 in our lecture hall, and they start to appear as ants. “Theater is cool. It’s the best,” says fellow thespian, Joshua Hall. Another aspiring actor, Austen Shumway describes his passion for theater very simply : “The arts are so important to me.”

So I ask you fellow students to spread the love and appreciation on our school’s piece of toast to the arts as well. I am not saying that sports are dumb, stupid, or senseless. But to forget a valuable part of our school and our students is something that needs to be changed. Many people also forget about band concerts, the orchestra, and art shows. Our school is full of actors, musicians and artistsĀ and you may not even realize it. Most likely the theatre’s show, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s NestĀ  will be on two weeknights during the last week of school before break (December 19-23), at a yet to be determined time. Please go, and take your friends! Support the arts!