Pro-Choice is Pro-Happiness

One of the most talked about issues in America today is abortion. Personally, I don’t think the government has the right to interfere with the personal, intimate lives of its citizens.

Abortion has been making headlines lately thanks to the proposed Personhood Initiative in Mississippi. According to ‘Personhood USA’, the group responsible for the initiative, “personhood” begins the moment the baby is conceived. This group holds the belief that abortion or any type of post-conception birth control method (including the “Morning After” pill) is murder. The initiative was voted down on November 8th, but if it had passed, the case would have gone to the Supreme Court. In previous Supreme Court case, “Roe v. Wade”, women were awarded the right to choose whether or not to have an abortion. Although the Supreme Court highly regards previous rulings, they very well could have decided in favor of the pro-life supporters this time around.

I just don’t think it’s right that the Supreme Court has the power to tell a woman what she can and cannot do with her body. And let’s face it – our government is dominated by men. There are only three women on the supreme court as opposed to six men. It is likely that all three women would vote pro-choice, so males ultimately hold the power to decide if abortion/post-conception birth control is illegal.

Although the issue of abortion does affect men, it primarily effects women. Women are the ones that carry the child for nine months, and face the physical and emotional tolls that come with pregnancy. Although they can’t escape the financial burden of the child, men aren’t obligated by law to offer support and help to the women they impregnate. A woman can’t run away from her pregnancy, but a man certainly can. Because the decision ultimately affects women much more than it affects men, women’s opinions should play a larger role in the decision to make abortion illegal; however, in our government, that’s almost impossible.

I’m not denying that there are some girls who are pro-life, and I respect that. Pro-life women are entitled to their opinions just as much as anyone else who is pro-choice. But who says pro-choice can’t also mean pro-life? Pro-choice is like an umbrella… it offers options that cater to both beliefs. Instead of taking away a woman’s freedom the decide what she wants to do with her own body by making abortion the illegal, why not make everyone happy by offering both options?

If you consider abortion/post-conceived birth control methods as immoral and illegal, than you don’t ever have to use them. That’s your opinion, and you are most definitely entitled to it. But what about other women who don’t share your same opinion? Shouldn’t they be entitled to their own beliefs? Every single woman is different, whether it’s their health, family, or financial situations, and every woman has different factors that play a role in their decision of whether or not to have a child. What every woman does have in common though, is that they deserve the right to control their bodies, and other women, men, and especially the government can never take that right away.

This is a hotly debated topic and people have strong feelings about it.  I have shared my opinion, and I welcome you to share yours.