Let’s Dance!

For some people, dancing is life—literally. Competitions, pointe shoes, late-night classes, pink tights, hairspray… believe me, they exist.

But (understandably) not everyone wants that kind of life, and that’s totally fine. Not everyone is willing to spend hundreds of dollars per year on ballet classes and costumes…not to mention professional training.

Maybe there are some of you who enjoy the occasional dance class, but are skeptical about joining a company because, again, it’s both expensive and intimidating.  And it’s true: there’s no doubt that becoming a member of a dance studio is a not only a huge commitment, but it can also be scary if you’re a beginner.

If you’re one of those people, wouldn’t it be nice to have the opportunity to join a fun, simple, pressure-and-judgment-free dance club?

Don’t you think that it’s time for Franklin High to offer an after-school club where you can learn the basics of ballet, jazz, tap, modern, contemporary, and lyric?

The school already offers just about every sport out there…so why not incorporate recreational dancing into the program?

“I think that an after-school dance club would be a cool idea because dancing is a perfect way to get exercise and have fun at the same time,” agrees Junior Stephanie Queenan. “It would get people to find out how great dance really is, along with the benefits you get out of it!”

The best part about having an FHS dance club is that you wouldn’t have to be super flexible or have years of experience to join…you may not even know what the “contemporary” style is, and that’s okay. This class would be free, and because it would be taught by people our age who are experienced in a variety of dance styles, there should be no fear of failure or harsh judgment.

In short, if you’re one of those teens who are interested in dance but are scared to jump right into an expensive competitive team, then I can promise you that an after-school dance class would be extremely beneficial. Not only would it provide you with a basic dance foundation through step-by-step teaching, but (like any other sport), the experience itself would be both rewarding and empowering.

I’ve been a dancer for 13 years of my life, and in my opinion, there’s no better way to express yourself than through music and movement. To me, it’s like beautiful artwork…and no matter your size, shape, height, weight, or gender, everyone has the ability to dance. It’s simply a matter of determination, work ethic, and creativity!

After all, dancing isn’t about perfection and it’s certainly not just for the naturally talented. So why not give it a try and see how you like it?

Because of this, and because I feel that dancing is just as much a sport as any other, I totally believe that (with you’re support!) we can make this happen. Leave a comment below and let us know what you think! 

Do you think that an FHS dance club would be a good idea?