Diabetes May Dibilitate Future Americans

We may have to be more cautious about eating that extra Krispy Kreme or deciding to put off excerise until after New Year’s, because as Reuters reports, by the year 2030 there will be 1 in 10 Americans that will suffer from Diabetes.

By 2030, there will be an estimated 552 million cases, compared to the 366 million currently in the United States. At the root of this problem is obesity, diet and exercise causing an uprise in Type 2 Diabetes.

Diabetics suffer from a disease that gives you blood sugar that needs to be regulated, usually by Insulin shots to help keep you from damaging your kidneys, nerves and heart. But for people that are not born into having this disease, it is preventable. Unless you refuse to eat well and do physical activity, of course.

To help with the increases in numbers, many companies are offering drugs to improve treatment of this disease. Some of these drugs have been around for a long time, such as Sanofi, Eli Lilly, Novo Nordisk and are trying to recreate their brand for the new ranges of consumers.

“It is irresponsible for schools to cut or shorten gym programs or hike up athletic fees,” says Allyse Zajac, sophmore. ” . . .while feeding kids garbage in their cafeterias.” She has a point since many diabetics are escalating due to childhood obesity. In agreement is Erin McGinley, sophomore as well. “An important step would be to educate younger kids before they become obese.”

But sometimes staying healthy is harder than you think for your average American.”It is hard to say no to unhealthy foods . . . the out-of-shape Americans need to understand all the consquences,” says Mary Barba, junior. And one of the most deadly, may in fact, be Diabetes unless high schoolers today take initiative and make sure to take advantage of the healthy options in the cafeteria and do physical activity.