Celtics Take on Thunder Wednesday

The Oklahoma City Thunder will travel to Boston to play the Celtics on Wednesday night at 7:30PM. Boston looks to rebound from a 94-73 loss at home to the San Antonio Spurs on Sunday night. This defeat was Boston’s worst loss at the Garden this season. Even though they have already clinched the Atlantic division for the third straight season, the Celtics need to prepare for teams as good as the Thunder when it’s time for the playoffs. Oklahoma City, lead by superstar Kevin Durant, has a record of 45-28 and currently sits in sixth place in a very competitive Western Conference. At age 21, Durant is the league’s second-leading scorer with 29.6 points per game, only behind Lebron James. He has scored 30 or more points 39 times this season, which is the most in the NBA. On December 4th, 2009, the Celtics easily beat the Thunder in Oklahoma City 105-87. Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins, Rasheed Wallace, and Eddie House all scored in double figures for Boston in that game. However, the Celtics were unable to stop Kevin Durant who exploded for 36 points, making 13 out 19 attempted shots and was a perfect 9 for 9 from the free throw line. The Thunder beat a disappointing 76ers team 111-93 on Tuesday night in Philadelphia. Durant did not score over 30 points in this game but he did lead all players with 26 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. Oklahoma City’s point guard Russell Westbrook had the only other double-double in the game besides Durant with 10 points and 14 assists. The win moves the Thunder one step to the playoffs and with a victory against the Celtics on Wednesday, Oklahoma City will clinch a playoff spot for the first time in team history. Not many people expected the Thunder to be a playoff team when the season began back in October. “I never put expectations on them. I focused on getting better,” Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks said. “Over the summer, we focused on getting better defensively and that has happened. … I like what we’ve done during the year.”