Varsity Baseball’s Weeks in Review

The Franklin Panthers baseball team has played a handful of games the past two weeks and came away with a winning record of 3-2 for the 5 games.

The first game was on the road against division rival Sharon Eagles. Zack Price led the way with a complete game shutout as the Panthers started the week off with a quality win. Sophmore Bredan Skidmore contributed from the plate with an RBI double to add some insurance towards the Panther’s lead and eventual victory.

The Panther’s second game over break came against a non-divisional opponent in the Framingham Flyers. Senior pitcher Mike McGowan led the way with five strong innings of three run ball, before handing the ball to Senior Colby Helgerson who slammed the door shut and kept the Panthers on top 5-3.

On Monday the Panther’s faced off with undefeated Oliver Ames. Franklin had numerous line drives and solid hits that unfortunalty seemed to fall right into the laps of the Oliver Ames players. Franklin was able to keep the game close, but couldn’t capitalize on its opportunities as the Panthers dropped this one 8-5

Tuesday’s game was a rebound game as the Panthers came out swinging against Foxboro. The cold temperatures and drizzling rain didn’t affect the Panther’s ability to tally up some runs over the course of the game. Senior catcher Steve Baillio’s 1st inning double plated two runners for the early lead. Senior pitcher Charlie Curley held the Warriors to just 4 runs for the win with the help of an efficient offense. The Panthers won 12-4 after the game was called in the bottom of the 6th.

Wednesday’s game came against divsion foe North Attleboro. In what may have been the coldest game ever, the Panthers were able to take an early lead as Zak Flateau crossed the plate to mark the games first run. North Attleboro was able to produce a strong offense contributing three homeruns in the game. Although Franklin kept battling back, North Attleboro was able to close out the game in the final inning winning 12-10.

Franklin finished the week with an overall record of 5-4. They look ahead to a big week with a payback game against Canton on Monday, Foxboro on Wednesday, and bitter playoff rival Catholic Memorial on Friday. The Panthers play all their games next week at home, so come and support the team.