Celtics Off-Season: Addition by Subtraction

The Boston Celtics flew under the radar this summer, and are going into the 2012-2013 NBA season reloaded with talent and contending for a championship.

“They had a very successful off-season. They added a center in Fab Melo, a power forward in Jared Sullinger, and they also got back a couple of players that were hurt throughout the season” said FHS Junior basketball player Jimmy Gibson.

When asked about Ray Allen leaving Boston to go to Miami, Heat fan and FHS junior Mike Schratz said “I think it’s huge for the Heat, which is a team that dominantly drives to the paint and rely on outside shooters to knock down shots when people like Dwyane Wade and LeBron James get double teamed in the paint.”

The most notable move the Celtics made this summer may have been losing sharpshooter Ray Allen, but they bounced back and made some great additions.

New to the green team this year is guard Jason Terry, former 6th man of the year award winner and champion with the Dallas Mavericks. Terry will add versatility to the Celtics bench, a career 16ppg scorer and 38% 3 point shooter, he should help the Celtics with last years offensive struggles.

Also new to the Celtics is 6’5 Guard/Forward Courtney Lee. Lee, formerly of the Houston Rockets is expected to start at SG opening night due to the injury of Avery Bradley. What Lee brings to the table is tough defensive, athleticism, and spot up shooting.

The loss of Ray Allen may still be hard to stomach, but with some smart signings the Boston Celtics have injected both talent and youth into their roster, and now make the road to banner number eighteen a little bit more clear.