Girls Cross Country Seeking Four-Peat

The Franklin high School girls’ Cross Country team is off to a tremendous start this season. Almost a month into the 2012 campaign the girls look like the team to beat by coming in first in the Hockomock Jamboree and having convincing wins over North Attleboro, King Phillip and Mansfield.

“We are definitely doing well this year” Senior Captain Lauren Hagen said “we are really working hard and with the bigger meets coming up I think that it will make us a stronger team.”

The last three years the  girls’ team have been the class of the  Hockomock League.In those three years the girls have gone undefeated in regular season play and have won the Hockockmock League Championship Meet each year.

“I think that we have a great chance to be four time champions” Hagen said “I think that there is a lot of great teams in our league but if we keep working hard I think that we can achieve that goal.”

It seems like the only hurdle keeping the girls from preserving their spot on top of the Hock is making up for the seniors that graduated this past year. A list that includes standouts Rachel Flynn, Emily Stickles and Alex Giese who captured the individual Hockomock League and was the Division two EMass champion.

That being said this year’s team has standouts up and down the line to help fill the presence left by last year’s graduating class. A field that includes seniors Hagen and Sarah Vetrano, juniors Caroline Knous, Abby Ross and Emily Hood and sophomores Elaina Rebello, Jess Garrigan and Katie Doherty.

“I think we have great teamwork” Hagen said “I beileve that right now that we are really starting to come together and a become a team and I think that will help us down the road.”

The girls’ team looks ready to hit their stride and looks primed and determined to climb back to the top of the Hockomock League for an unprecedented fourth straight year.

Do you think the Girls' Cross Country team will win the Hockomcok League Championship this year?