The Puck Hold Up

This 2012 NHL lockout is on all hockey lovers’ minds, an upsetting year to the fans, players and coaches. The biggest thing going on in sports is this idea. History is repeating it’s self as this previously happened during the 1994-95 season as well as during the 2004-05 season.

11:59 pm September 15, 2012 is when the lockout began, and is still going on to this day. This came after the expiration date of the National Hockey League’s collective bargaining agreement which was less than a month before the beginning of the 2012-13 hockey season.

The team’s owners announced the lockout of the NHLPA (national hockey league players’ association) after an agreement was unable to be attained before their deadline.

The owners have a long list of reasons to locking out the players. First thing is that they want to reduce the player’s share of HRR from 57% to 46%, however after modifying the HRR itself, players share would be down to 43%.

Next, they want to set a maximum term of five years for all new players. Also they would like to eliminate signing bonuses and set a set salary for each year per player.

They would like to extend a few other things, that quite frankly are too complicated to ahrd explain and not as important as the above ones!

So what will all your favorite NHL players be doing with their time you may be

wondering? The ones who are eligible will be playing junior hockey and the older players will be playing in Europe. I am sure you could catch their games on your computer, which is totally better than watching it on the big screen, right?

“Being able to watch it with the boys” is what Ryan Lessard, a senior hockey player at Franklin High, said he would miss the most about the NHL season. “They should come to mutual terms, what’s that word” pause “oh ya compromise! For the fans sake at least,” Lessard said.

Leave a comment and let me know how you feel about the lockout, I am curious as to what everyone’s opinions are.