Panther Puck is Back!

The Franklin Panthers varsity hockey team fell short in their scrimmage against Arlington Saturday by a score of 3 to 1.

Junior goalies split time equally this game, with Devon Maloof getting the start and Mike Donadio entering halfway through the second period; all three scores coming against Donadio.

Senior captin Cam Curley was the only panther to score, finding the back of the net in the third period.

This marks the panthers second loss in pre-season matches, yet the score is not the most important aspect in preparing for the upcoming season.

“I think we improved from our first scrimmage,” stated Randy Gilbert, a junior wing on the varsity squad, “and started to come together a little more at the end.”

The panthers came out in the third period moving the puck more fluently and they played off one another, building chemistry for the season ahead.

With the past two hockey seasons ending in losses at the Boston Garden, the whole team is focused on finding any way to get back to that big stage.

“We’ve got to outwork everybody and execute everything that we practice,” explained Gilbert.

As long as Franklin follows the leadership of head coach Spillane, they should end up in good shape by the end of the year.

“This team isn’t as talented as it was last year so we can’t get behind in games,” said Gilbert. Using Arlington as an example of this, the panthers should be ready for the 2012-2013 regular season.

How far will the Varsity hockey team go this year?