Knicks vs Nets: What Team is the King of New York?

With the season series now in the bags, the Knicks and Nets both won two games against one another, but the rivalry is far from over.

When the 2012-2013 NBA season began, many expected the Knicks and Nets rivalry to be a great one, and so far there has been no disappointment.

“It’s awesome that there are two teams fighting for top dog in one state” said junior Mark Mooney.

And fight the two teams did, as both teams finished 2-2 against their newest rival. The two New York teams were set to open the season against each other, but due to the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy the much anticipated game would have to be delayed until November 26th.

• On November 26th the Brooklyn Nets narrowly defeated the New York Knicks 96 to 89. The game was played in the brand new, billion dollar Barclays Center, and fans from both teams made their impact, both Deron Williams and Carmelo Anthony recieved “MVP” chants during the overtime thriller. (Nets take control of the series going up 1-0)
  • December 12th was another exciting match up between the two teams, as Carmelo Anthony scored 45 and Jason Kidd converted on a game winning three pointer after being fouled by Jerry Stackhouse. (Series tied 1-1)
  • The two teams wouldn’t spend too much time apart, as they met again on December 19th. On this day the Knicks proved to be too much for the Nets to handle, Carmelo Anthony returned from injury and torched the Nets for 31 points on his way to a 100-86 Knicks victory. (Knicks take series lead 2-1)
  • In their final regular season meeting on January 21st, the two teams would once again put on a show. The Brooklyn Nets, under new head coach P.J Carlesimo had gone 10-2 and they would continue their winning ways on this night. The injury ridden Knicks, minus point guard Raymond Felton, and big men Rasheed Wallace and Marcus Camby would fall to the Nets 88-85 after a clutch shot by Joe Johnson. (Series tied 2-2)

The season series may be over between the Knicks and Nets, but that doesn’t mean the two teams wont see each other again come playoff time.

“I hope they meet again in the playoffs. By then both teams should be playing their best” said NBA fan Noah Kinhart.

Kinhart makes a good point, both teams have gone through major changes already this season.

The Knicks have been playing injured since the start of the season, just recently getting forward Amar’e Stoudamire and guard Iman Shumpert back from the injured reserved list. With these high caliber players once again inserted into the lineup, the Knicks are hoping they still have their best days ahead of them.

And for the Nets, the team has also gone through a recent transition phase. Former head coach Avery Johnson was fired on December 27th, and P.J Carlesimo (named the interim head coach) has lead the team to a 11-2 record since taking over.

Both teams have a lot of basketball sill to be played, but with both teams looking destined for the playoffs, things may get a little more interesting after 82 games.

Who is the better New York team?