Underrated Panthers Making a Statement

Throughout the whole boys basketball season most of the state has been focusing on one Hockomock league team, the defending Emass champions, the Mansfield Hornets. But there is a another team that everyone should be paying attention to and that is the Franklin Panthers.

Don’t look now but the Panthers’ boys team have put together a great run of games the last month of season. The wins including two 25 point wins over Foxboro and North Attleboro and taking down the Davenport division leading Sharon Eagles. Even taking Mansfield to the brink at the TD garden only to lose by three.

The string of impressive games have put Franklin at a 13-5 overall mark and 12-3 record in the Hockomock league which is second only to the Hornets themselves.

“We’ve been playing real well.” said Senior Captain Chris Rodgers  “We have been playing a lot of great teams and that has brought us together more.”

The boys team has come a long way starting with the WPI bound Rodgers who is in line for another hock all-star selection and leads the team in points.  ‘

But the list does not stop there as center Marcus Giese is among the league leaders in blocks, Forward Pat O’Reilly is playing outstanding defense and setting up players like Rodgers and senior Quentin Harrell with setting screens on the Offense side of the ball. The Sixth man, Sophomore Tim Prunier could be the surprise of the year, having least amount of experience but being one of the best shooters on the team. And supporting cast members of Dylan Reno, Markus Bohmiller and Dan McDermott make the depth of the team and will be key for the Panthers come tournament time.

“Everyone has playing phenomenal” Junior Center Marcus Giese said ” We are looking for a few more wins to close out the season and go into the tournament on a high note.”

Speaking of the tournament, Franklin will switch to the Central Sectional this year which means avoiding rival Mansfield and a more likely chance to survive and advance through Mass Madness. The boys seed will only improve if they keep up their string of impressive games and that means play at Woodrow Abbot Field House to start their tournament run.

The Panthers are now becoming a force to be reckon with and if they keep it up the underrated team may just take some hardware home when the season is all set and done.

How Far Do You Think The Boys' Basketball Team Will Go?