You Only Have One Brain.

Many high school athletes are familiar with concussions but not all take them seriously. A concussion is a traumatic brain injury that is caused by a direct blow to the head or as a result from a blow to the body that causes the head to jolt forwards or backwards.

It is said that 50% of concussions in high school students go unrecognized. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as many as 3.8 million concussions happen each year in the U.S. during sports.

Some concussions are not recognized at first because symptoms can be delayed. When this happens athletes can develop second impact syndrome. This occurs when an athlete sustains another concussion before a prior concussion heals fully. Many athletes who have had concussions have a higher chance of receiving another concussion.

Signs and symptoms of a concussion include: headaches, dizziness, vomiting, sensitivity to light  or noise and difficulty concentrating.

It is important for athletes to speak up right away if they have had a hit to the head and are experiencing any signs or symptoms. If a concussion goes untreated it can cause long lasting effects. When an athlete returns to play before they are healed completely it will most likely cause them to be out for the remainder of the season.

It is important to take concussions seriously. A concussion can have long lasting symptoms so recognizing and treating a concussion immediately is necessary. Having a trainer at all sporting events helps reduce those lasting symptoms.