Pandemonium at Chelmsford Forum

If you went to the Chelmsford Forum tonight expecting a great hockey game you certainly got your moneys worth as Franklin went up against Xaverian for a chance to enter the Super 8. This game was a roller coaster of emotions that kept you on the edge of your seat the entire time.

At first it seemed grim for the Panthers as Jake Farrell of Xaverian netted a shot from the left side that put the Hawks up 1-0 with shots going 13-5 in the Hawks favor. But, the Panthers didn’t let that affect them as Joe Bourque said “We’ve been down before, we faced a lot of adversity all season and coming back was no problem for us”.

Chances came from both teams as play continued in the second period as the Panthers went 0-2 on the powerplay and the shots were 23-10 in the Hawks favor. However, the game took off in the third period in what was some of the greatest hockey I have ever witnessed from the Panther.

With 8:51 left in the third period DJ Shea tips in a shot from Nick Morris that ties the game 1-1. But, after what felt like a momentum swing, the Panthers were stopped in their tracks as Xaverian regained the lead with a slap shot from Nick Shaw with 8:16 left in the third putting the Hawks up 2-1. As the game continued it was a gorgeous save by Ryan Shea that kept the Panthers within one.

It almost looked too good to be true that the Panthers would get their spot Super 8 as time was dwindling in the third period. However, the Panthers never gave up and with 31 seconds left and their goalie pulled, Nick Morris sends home a goal that ties the game up 2-2 and sends it into overtime.

As play continued in overtime Alec Borkowski sends a shot off the glass which was picked up by Ryan Spillane and, with Xaverian’s goalie out of position, he sends it home and the Panthers win 3-2. This prompted a celebration like no other from the fans of Rattle City and the players on the ice as the Panthers punched their ticket for the Super 8 for the first time ever. “It was by far one of the best games I’ve seen in my life” said Rattle City member Ben Chaffee and he was right.

The Panthers now move on to the Super 8 to face Malden Catholic in a best of 3 series. Best of luck to our guys as they move on.

Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 10.08.18 PM

(Ryan Spillane, teammates, and Rattle City rush to the glass after a huge overtime goal. Photo from Ryan Lanigan of Hockomock Sports)