Looking Ahead

On Saturday, the Boston Bruins were officially eliminated from playoff contention when the Pittsburgh Penguins defeated the Buffalo Sabres 2-0.  Since this will be the first time the Bruins will miss the postseason in eight years, (2007–My fourth grade year) the team is primed for a major shakeup this offseason.  Out of the goodness of my heart, I have composed a short list of things that SHOULD happen during the summer:

Chiarelli and Julien Are Gone

Look, it’s not that I’m ungrateful for all they’ve done: Winning the Stanley Cup in 2011, taking the Blackhawks to game six of final two years later, and just flat-out  reestablishing a hockey culture in New England.

However, the deplorable drafts, poor roster management, and overvaluing middle of the road veterans have finally caught up to Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.  The Tyler Seguin trade isn’t looking good now, is it?  I appreciate his many years of service, but it’s time to move on.

A coaching change is also needed.  As bad as Chiarelli botched the offseason, the Bruins’ roster was still good enough to sneak into the playoffs as a seven or eight seed.  If you watched all 82 games as I did, you saw the Bruins play some of the most spineless, uninspired hockey they have played in recent memory.  From October to April it became evident that after eight years, the Bruins had finally grew sick of playing for Claude Julien.

Trade Milan Lucic

Remember four years ago?  When Milan Lucic scored 30 goals and the Bruins’ media started hyping him up like crazy saying things like “He’s the next Cam Neely!”  He certainly has the makeup on paper to be the next Cam Neely, but in his several NHL seasons , he hasn’t come close to that next level.  With not even 20 goals this season, he’s definitely someone the Bruins wouldn’t miss much if they are able to get something in return for him.  Maybe you could fool Edmonton or Dallas into giving someone up.

Be Careful When Resigning Dougie Hamilton

I don’t care what everyone says about how great this guy is going to be in the future, he hasn’t gotten there yet.  I’m not saying don’t resign him, but don’t over pay him to get him.  He is still not a proven, established top four defensmen in the league and if he doesn’t pan out like Rick Dipietro didn’t pan out for the New York Islanders, you could put yourself in a worse situation than you already are in if you’re the Bruins.  After all, he’s still a Chiarelli draft pick.

Let Greg Campbell and Dan Paille Go

As NHL fourth lines continue to trend toward fast and skilled instead of rough and tough, I believe it is time to cut ties with the last remnants of the old “merlot” line.  The league is just getting too young and too skilled for these guys to have place anymore besides blocking shots.  If the Bruins want to roll four lines ever again, they’ll become quicker and younger this offseason.