Season Over for the Red Sox

Hanna Richardson, Writer

The Cleveland Indians bring an end to the Red Sox’s postseason in a 3-game sweep during the American League Divisional Series.

On Thursday, Oct. 6, the Red Sox lost their first out of three game to the Indians, with a score of 5-4.

After the game, Franklin High School Baseball Coach and Health Teacher, Mr. McLaughlin was asked if he still believed the Red Sox could win the series.

Mr. McLaughlin responded by saying: “Absolutely, without question. I think they have obviously shown their potential in the regular season and I think defensively and offensively they have what it takes to win it. Especially having Pedroia and Big Papi on the team. That gives them an edge because of their pass success.”

Game two, on Friday, Oct. 7, was another loss. The Red Sox didn’t put a single run on the board losing 6-0.

The Red Sox had home field advantage during Monday’s game on October, 10. However, the team lost 4-3, marking the end of the Red Sox’s postseason and David Ortiz’s last game.

FHS freshman, Elizabeth Clark was disappointed that the Red Sox lost and believed they did not put their best efforts forth during the games.

I think they played well, but needed more energy. Knowing it was Papi’s last game, they could have stepped it up,” Clark said. “They did not hit like they usually do, but they fielded the ball well.

Many Red Sox fans were let down by the performance of the Red Sox, and were left wondering if the Red Sox will succeed without Ortiz next year.

Mr. McLaughlin gave his insight on this question and said: “I think he will be missed as a person and teammate, and his success and experience will also be missed, but it’s time for a new era to carry on the torch.”        

To find out more information on the Red Sox’s click here to visit their website.