FHS Golf Finishes Season, Withdraws from Playoffs

Ryan Martin, Writer

Sophomore Jack Hagerty whacks the ball from the fairway

FHS Golf is back on the green, and the team finished the regular season with an impressive 8-2 record.

For the first time since 2014, Coach Dustin Picillo’s led Panthers started their season winning their first eight matches, a season many feared would be cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns. Sophomore Jack Hagerty sat down to explain how this year’s team has been so dominant.

Hagerty notes that Franklin’s roster this year is loaded with talented upperclassmen. Five seniors backbone this Panthers team, and as Hagerty explains, experience has been Franklin’s difference maker this year. One of those seniors, Captain Jack Paterson, made his case this season for best golfer in the Hock; his 36.7 average score finished lowest in the league, and led to Paterson to a Hockomock League MVP title.

During last Tuesday’s interview, Hagerty made sure to emphasize the importance of everyone doing their job in Franklin’s matches that week, both against Mansfield. Despite losing both matches by narrow margins, Franklin was hoping to end their season on a high note with the COVID-altered playoffs. Sadly for the Panthers, that will not be happening. 

Franklin Public Schools Superintendent, Dr. Sarah Ahern, announced Sunday Evening that the high school’s hybrid plan will be postponed two weeks; all FHS Sports will come to a halt as well. The news comes after the Franklin Police Department reported an alcohol-present party Saturday night. Twenty-five to fifty FHS students were at the gathering, with little to no COVID guidelines in place. This marks the unfortunate end to the Panthers’ season, as the team has been forced to withdraw from the Hockomock Cup Tournament.