The Girls Hockey Team Puts An End To The Season

Shaw Downing

Girls Hockey Team shows how close they are on and off the ice

Maddie Michenzie, Writer

The FHS Girls Hockey team has been fighting for the top spot in the Hockomock this season. Winning 10 games, the girls were determined to prove their capabilities, busting their way into the playoffs. With many new players this season, the girls put their communication to the test. I caught up with juniors, Shaw Downing and Molly Hurley, to see what’s in store for the Panthers next year, as well as the memorable moments from this season!

Maddie Michenzie: Earlier in the season the team lost 10-0 to Algonquin, a team known to be really good. When playing them late in the season, the team tied 1-1 with Algonquin. How has Franklin improved from the start of the season?

Shaw Downing: Our team has grown not only as individuals but as a whole unit, we communicate, and understand each other’s play a lot better than earlier in the season. 

Molly Hurley: Well, to begin the season we had 4 brand new lines compared to last season, one of which being all freshmen. It took some time for us all to gel, get to know each other, and find our chemistry. Going into the first Algonquin game, not only were we missing a few players, but our mindset just wasn’t in it. Going into the second game; however, w

e knew we had to step it up. At that point, we had been working together long enough to finally be able to work as a team. We never gave up and worked until the last buzzer. 

MM: How did the offense and defense work coherently to keep goals from coming in?

The Girls celebrate after a goal! (Shaw Downing)

MH: A huge part of our team this year was communication. The offense and defense make sure to let each other know where to be and what our next move is. The time in between periods in the locker room was very crucial because we were able to let each other know what we need to fix to keep the goals flowing and prevent them from going against us. 

MM: What can the team improve on going into next season?

MH: One thing we can definitely improve is our confidence. We have a young team here which gives us so much time to improve. I think our only downfall is when we get scored on we get down on ourselves. We’re a great team and if we let the goals slide and keep our head in the game we are bound for success. 

MM: It is not a shock that the team is closed off the ice as well. How do these friendships help teamwork on the ice?

SD: The team is honestly my second family. Off the ice everyone is just together laughing, dancing, and just creating memories. I feel like a big part of being a team is also being a family, and since we have created such an amazing bond as a team, when we hit the ice we all feel comfortable and trust each other making it easier to set up plays.

MH: The team this year is the closest it’s ever been. I was definitely very shy as an underclassman but this season has really brought me and everyone else out of our shells. Our friendships on the ice really help us trust each other on the ice.  

The Franklin Panthers at the end of a strong game (Shaw Downing)

MM: How did the team feel going into the playoffs?

SD: The team was excited and pumped up to be in the playoffs. After our last regular-season game it was a waiting game for all of us to see if we will be in the playoffs. Knowing that we were in the playoffs, everyone was ready to work as hard in practice and hit the ice with confidence and determination for our first playoff game.

MH: The team was so excited and grateful to be in the playoffs. It was a very long season full of hard work; no games came easily to us. We weren’t sure if we were going to be in the playoffs until after our last regular-season game. I think when we all got the confirmation text that we were in, we were all thrilled. 

The Girls Hockey Team lost their last game against Andover on Friday, putting an end to the season. Each game, win or lose, the girls worked hard, and perseveres. Although their last game, the seniors paved a great path for next year’s team! Great job to the whole team for putting up a hard fight!