Freshman Student Government Elections

Freshman Student Government Elections

Catherine Smith, Writer

After a long few weeks of campaigning and meetings, the Franklin High School freshman class has elected its Student Government and Representatives.

Whether the campaign was cookies and chocolate or “Vote For ……” posters in the hallway, the votes are in.

The president is Nipun Goel, vice president is Kianna Thomas, treasurer is Nolan Sheridan, and the new secretary is Stefany Padula.

This year, quite a number of freshman ran for office. 19 freshman ran for a government position- 6 ran for president, 5 for vice president, 5 for treasurer, and 3 for secretary.

In order to even be considered for the position, runners had to petition for 20 signatures in order to be put on the ballot. A mandatory meeting was held for everyone interested in joining.

The elections for Student Government were held Tuesday and Wednesday Sept. 25 and 26 at lunch. The elections for seven freshman Student Representatives will be held Tuesday and Wednesday Oct. 2 and 3 at lunch as well.

According to Freshman Will Olbrys, running for a representative position is the best way to gain experience for a higher position later in high school, such as Student Government president or vice president.

Some running for a position may have previous leadership experience from Student Council in middle school, or even the Superintendent’s Advisory Committee

Student government meetings are held on Thursday mornings at 7a.m. every week in room 226.